It’s every pet owner’s worst nightmare. A beloved pet needs veterinary care, but the owner can’t afford treatment. For many seniors and people with disabilities, this scenario is a sad reality.
That’s where the Farley Foundation steps in.
What is the Farley Foundation?
The Farley Foundation is a registered charity that assists people in need by subsidizing the cost of veterinary care for the pets that mean the world to them.
Established by the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association (OVMA) in 2001, the Foundation assists people in need by subsidizing the cost of necessary (non-elective) veterinary care for the pets that mean the world to them.
Who is eligible for Farley?
The Foundation offers financial assistance to veterinary clinics in Ontario to help cover the cost of providing necessary veterinary care for pets belonging to seniors receiving the Federal Guaranteed Income Supplement or people with disabilities who receive the Ontario Disability Support Payment, and who cannot otherwise afford treatment for their pets.
How do I apply for funding?
Each veterinary clinic is given a very limited amount of funding per year. In order to request any funding an established relationship with the clinic is needed (you and your pet have been to the clinic before for care). If the clinic has any funds available, the staff will check to ensure you qualify for funding with the Farley organization.
To view the full list of eligibility qualifications visit the Farley website: http://www.farleyfoundation.org/pet_owners/eligibility_criteria.html
Who provides the funding for Farley?
The veterinary community across Ontario is extremely supportive of the Farley Foundation. Veterinarians, their staff and veterinary industry members provide a large percentage of the Foundation’s donation base, and provide incredible promotional and awareness support to people and pets in need through the Farley Foundation.
Pet owners across Ontario also provide generous support. Despite the fact that Farley Foundation funding is only delivered in Ontario, Canada, the Foundation is also increasingly receiving support from pet owners across Canada, North America and around the world, thanks in part to the Foundation’s mascot, Farley and his generous creator, Lynn Johnston.
How can I help?
Visit your veterinary clinic during the month of October to find lots of goodies that can be purchased. All proceeds will go to the Farley Foundation. Other way to support the foundations include;
- Make a donation in someone’s name- Give a special gift to an animal lover by making a donation in their name. They will receive a special thank-you card from the Farley Foundation.
- Make a donation in memory of someone special- Honour the memory of a person or pet who has passed away with a donation to the Farley Foundation. Memorial service donation cards are also available for those who would like to donate to the Farley Foundation in lieu of flowers.
- Support one of our Farley Foundation Events
- Purchase a Farley Foundation License Plate
- Purchase Farley Foundation Holiday Cards
- Purchase a plush Farley toy
- Remember the Farley Foundation in your Estate Planning.
- Care by Share-ing (give a gift of shares or securities).